St. Brandon's Atoll
Fly Fishing the Remote Indian Ocean
World-Class Bonefishing, Permit, and Giant Trevally
St. Brandon comprises over 50 small islands, coral ridges, and vast sand flats in the remote Indian Ocean.
Situated 268 nautical miles northeast of Mauritius’s main island, this area is rich in fish, flora, and fauna. This magical Atoll has quickly become iconic for its world-class saltwater fly-fishing. The Atoll is not reachable by aircraft, so a 24+ hour sail is required on a supply vessel from Mauritius. About 40 people live on the island.
Click here for Sherpa (up-to-date travel requirements).
St. Brandon's Bonefishing
St. Brandon's offers spectacular bonefishing. Over the past few seasons, anglers have landed bonefish weighing over 14 pounds and up to 35"! Novices can target the large numbers of fairly naive bonefish while the experienced rods hunt singly trophy tailing bones. The hard-white sand, turtle grass, and coral flats of St. Brandon make for easy wading. Quality, protective flats wading boots must be worn.
Large bluefin trevally are around in good numbers, and 15 to 20 pounds are frequently landed. Other notable flats species include golden, yellow dot, and green spot trevally.
The Outfitter: FlyCastaway Fishing Company has specialized in elite fly-fishing trips since 2004 and also operates:
Giant Golden Trevally
St. Brandon's isn’t a destination where anglers will get shots at Golden Trevally every day, but it is the place to catch more GTs measuring over three feet in length than under. 95% of the GTs measure over 40+ inches.
St Brandon Atoll is home to large numbers of Indo-Pacific Permit. Daily opportunities at permit range between 5 -15 pounds, although they have landed fish over 20 pounds. All permit fishing on St. Brandon's takes place on foot, providing guests with the ultimate walk-and-stalk flats fishing experience.
Fishing the Flats
Typical Fishing Day:
7:00 am - You'll have breakfast.
By 8:00 am - You’ll head out to the flats to fish the first tide. If the prime tidal movement coincides with your lunch break, you’ll usually stay out on the flats and enjoy a packed lunch. There’s the option to return to the Guesthouse for lunch if the tide and distance allow.
Early afternoon sun glare can make spotting fish difficult.
4:30 pm - You’ll return to the Lodge. The next day’s schedule and activities are planned the night before between the guides. If you have any preferences, feel free to tell the guides. The species you wish to target, and current tidal movement are taken into consideration.
The Fishing Program
Two Seasons: April through June and then September through December for peak fishing.
Group Size: Eight anglers per week, two anglers per guide.
Guides: Four world-class professional, English-speaking guides.
Boats: 17-foot custom-built mono-hull boats with two 15-HP two-stroke Yamaha engines are used to transport anglers to flats where they will wade fish. You’ll only cast from the boats when targeting GTs in deeper waters.
Fishing Equipment: No equipment is included. Fly outfits are available for a weekly rental of $100.00 per trip, with a breakage fee of $250.00. Fly lines are excluded.
A Fishing License is included in the package and issued onsite.
Physical Condition: They recommend that you be in reasonably good shape. When fishing the flats, you'll often be far from shore and need sufficient stamina to wade in the water throughout each day. You’ll be far from any medical assistance if needed.
Weather: Temperatures range between 25° to 30°C (77° to 86°F). Wind averages 15 knots (13-18 mph).
Lodging: You'll stay in a low-key but charming four-bedroom, two-bathroom, air-conditioned Guesthouse on Raphael Island, north of the Atoll. Each room has two large twin beds, daily housekeeping, and laundry service twice a week. A covered outdoor dining/lounge area is perfect for enjoying a cold Phoenix (local beer) at the end of a great day of fishing. A separate mudroom/tackle room ensures all your gear has been cleaned and is neatly stored.
Electricity: Generators provide power between 3:00 pm and 9:00 am. Plug points are British square three prong/Type G.
Meals on the Covered Patio
Meals are international and Mauritian cuisine. Dinners feature grilled fish and chicken, also possibly a chicken or seafood curry, and an evening or two will feature steak.
Beverages: Soft drinks, water, and local beers are included in the package.
Communications: Wi-Fi access is not available. Guides carry satellite phones when out on the water in case of emergency. Raphael Island has a fixed unit satellite phone for $4.00 USD per minute, which guests can use at their own expense.
Non-Angler: There are very few activities on the island for the non-angler.
The Guesthouse on Raphael Island
Getting to St. Brandon's Atoll:
Just getting here can be a trip in itself. It takes three nights to get to the Atoll—one in the air, one hotel night in Mauritius, and one night aboard the transport vessel. You'll fly to Port Louis, Mauritius, via London and Paris and this first leg takes anywhere from 24 to 30 hours.
1.) On Sunday, the day before the start of the trip, you'll need to fly to the main island of Mauritius and stay overnight. (Mauritius is an island nation in the Indian Ocean.) The outfitter recommends Le Suffren Hotel in Port Louis, located in the same harbor as the transport vessel. (In Mauritius, the ground transfers, hotel nights, and meals are not included in the package.)
2.) On Monday at about 1:00 p.m., your group will depart Port Louis on a 65-foot supply vessel. The crossing takes 24 to 28 hours (one way) and is included in the package. At this time, there are no aerial options for St. Brandon's Atoll.
Giant Trevally Waters
2024 Rates and Packages:
Two Seasons: April - June and September - December.
Global Rescue coverage has been added to the packages, a $100.00 value.
10-nights Lodging and 7-days guided fishing
(2-nights on a 65-foot supply vessel during transit to the Island and 8-nights at the Guesthouse.)
Maximum of 8-anglers per week.
$10,600.00 per person
Extended Trip Discount:
Make a Back-to-Back Trip, 17-nights and 14-guided fishing days
(2-nights on a 64-foot supply vessel during transit to the Island and 15-nights at the Guesthouses.)
$18,200.00 per person
The Package Includes:
• Water transfers between Mauritius and St. Brandon's
• 8-nights Lodging
• Meals at the guesthouse
• Local beers, soft drinks, and bottled water
• Laundry service
• 7-days guided fishing
• Fishing license
• Mandatory Global Rescue, $100.00 value.
The Package Does Not Include:• Airfare
• Ground transfers on Mauritius
• Hotel nights, meals, and ground transfers in Port Louis or any other en-route city
• Spirits and wine
• Use of satellite phone, $4.00 per minute
• Tackle and flies
• Gratuities for guides and staff
• Mandatory Travel insurance
• Items of a personal nature
• Anything not mentioned under inclusions.
Friday: Arrive in Mauritius and stay overnight at a hotel in Port Louis.
Saturday: In the morning, you'll board the 65-ft. transfer vessel and depart from Port Louis, Mauritius. The crossing takes +/-26 hours.
Sunday: You'll arrive on Raphael Island. If time allows, after lunch, you'll fish unguided throughout the afternoon.
Monday - Saturday: Full days of guided fishing.
Sunday: After breakfast, you'll pack up and settle your tab. Mid-morning, the boats depart Raphael Island.
Monday: You'll arrive in Port Louis, Mauritius, around midday. Although every effort is made to stick to this schedule, weather and other factors associated with remote locations of this nature can affect timing.
Fly Castaway Policies:
Required Indemnity Form: All guests will be required to sign and return the Reservation and Indemnity Form before the trip.
• All reservation made more than 12 months in advance requires an initial deposit of 20% of the total amount due to be received within 14 days of invoicing.
• Twelve (12) months prior to departure, 50% of the total amount is due.
• All reservation made less than 12 months in advance requires an initial deposit of 50% of the total amount due to be received within 14 days of invoicing.
• Three (3) months prior to departure, 100% of the total amount is due.
• If a booking is made less than 90 days prior to departure, full payment is due immediately.
• If a cancellation is made 12 months or more prior to departure then 50% of the deposit will be forfeited.
• Cancellations made 12 to 6 months prior to departure, 50% of the charter rate shall be forfeited.
• Cancellations made 6 months or less prior to departure, full individual charter rate shall be forfeited.
• Reservation for which payment are not received as on time as per the terms are subject to cancellation by FCA 7 days after notification.
• In case of cancellation by FlyCastaway money received will be paid back in full excluding bank charges.
• Rates are subject to change without prior notice
• All Cancellations must be made in writing. Deposit will only be refunded if a replacement can be found. Reservation for which payment are not received as on time as per the terms are subject to cancellation by FCA 7 days after notification.
* Once a deposit is received, all revisions are subject to a US$100.00 handling fee.
* All prices are subject to availability of bookings, change by service providers, and are quoted at low season fares.
* Rates are subject to change.
* The ship/lodge reserves the right to cancel a sailing/trip due to bad weather conditions.
Fishing with Larry recommends Signature Trip Insurance. (Travel Insurance is required for this package.)
Click here for our Travel Insurance page.
Medical evacuation insurance is mandatory but is included in the package rate.